Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Floppy Muscle Power

How is it that kids, let's say around 1 1/2 years old, can totally go floppy at will?

What I mean is, if you try to pick my daughter Lucy up, and she's not game, she can totally relax all her muscles in such a way where it's impossible to lift her at all. Like an overloaded water balloon, she flops to safety. I think it's her super power. Maybe she was bitten by a radioactive overloaded water balloon or something.

Anyway, why do we totally lose this ability when we become adults? I'm pretty sure if anyone wanted to scoop me off of the sidewalk and into their black unmarked van they could do it. But if I could go totally floppy...

3 comments:

holly said...

wes, sorry to dot your comment section, but my hobbies are limited and few at this juncture...
evan used to go limp, like plastic man, at b.buster and the grocery store. i remember an incident involving hot tamales. the candy.
my brother tried to continue this into his teen years, chad, that is, by playing a wrestling game everynight with his little sisters, me and jenni, featuring the characters Slippery Sam, who, if wearing a certain striped shirt, could slide out of any situation. and if that didn't work, he turned into Mr. Lick a Lick, who licked you if you touched him. A final resort was Glass Man, who broke if he fell on you, a consequence most dreaded by my sister and i.

holly said...

by the way, i didn't make this comment at 5:33 am. what's up with blogger time?!

Pat Strawser said...

....not to be confused with a similarly annoying phenomena that my son exhibits, which we call "plywood boy."